5 Ways To Look Younger
I just stumbled across this article on about 10 Ways to Look Younger on MSNBC’s ‘Today’ column. Who doesn’t want to look younger, right?!? They gave some great advice about ensuring that you’re eating right, getting enough sleep and of course getting some exercise. I also learned a few tricks about how to apply make up so that I can truly hide some of the tell-tale signs of getting older.
I consulted with my BodyLogicMD doctor and he helped condense and sift through MSNBC’s list:
1. Eat pomegranates and other foods high in anti-0xidants
“Eating half a cup of pomegranate seeds or drinking one cup of the juice every day can smooth fine lines and make skin feel more supple,” says Nicholas Perricone, M.D., a dermatologist in Meriden, Connecticut.
Did you know that cucumbers have a high concentration of a mineral called silica which helps maintain collagen production? Guess what I’ll be eating for lunch a few times a week? You guessed it, a yummy cucumber salad (minus the sugar for me!).
How about butternut squash? According to Regina Goralczyk, a biology and human nutrition researcher at DSM Nutritional Products in Basel, Switzerland, the antioxidant found in this delicious (and often overlooked!) veggie helps prevent collagen breakdown and protects skin from ultraviolet rays that can lead to wrinkles and age spots.
2. Find something you enjoy doing! SMILE often 🙂 Your body produces endorphins at a low level when you smile … the more you have running around in your body, the better you’re going to feel.
3. Make sure your skin-care products do double-duty (I personally invest in pharmaceutical-grade products to ensure that I am giving my skin what it needs to ‘thrive’). Additionally, my BodyLogicMD doc recommends Fish-Oil and other pharmaceutical-grade quality supplements to complement my program.
4. Get moving! Incorporating between 45-60 minutes a day of exercise can not only help you look younger, it can help you ‘move younger.’ I just started an Argentine Tango class and am loving the ‘rosy-red’ cheek look that I get from FUN exercise.
5. Use bioidentical hormones! Ever since starting my BHRT, my skin is more supple, the tiny wrinkles I was starting to get around my eyes are starting to disappear, my nails aren’t as brittle (doc also says to make sure I eat jello – it helps!), and my hair is looking and feeling like it did when I was in my 20’s!!!
Have fun ladies and let’s all put our best face forward 🙂