Foods to Put You in the Mood
by D.C. Tworek, CPT, B.S. Nutrition
Looking to boost your sex drive? There are several everyday foods that can stimulate hormones and chemical messengers inside the brain, awakening arousal. Add these foods to your diet for libido-boost.
- Watermelon. This summer favorite is loaded with an amino acid, known as citrulline, which is used by the body to synthesize arginine, another amino acid, essential to vascular health. Guys and gals can benefit from biting into the juicy melon – for men, it means a healthy erection and for the ladies, studies have shown a boost in libido.
- Eggs. The incredible edible egg – it has a multitude of benefits for your health, including giving your sex drive a nice boost. Eggs are a reliable source of L-arginine, which when acted upon by enzymes in your body increase production of nitric oxide. Nitric oxide has a dilating effect on the blood vessels. Many drugs used to treat impotence and high blood pressure work by raising nitric oxide levels, and many herbs and foods that enhance arousal work through the same mechanism.
- Coffee. Yes, coffee. Coffee is one of those foods that mixes a bit of the good with the bad. In this case, studies have shown that women experience stimulation in the area of the brain that controls arousal after a cup of joe. Just remember, cream and sugar add unnecessary calories and too much caffeine late in the day can counteract the sexy effects if your sleep pattern is disturbed.
- Peaches. Sex and fertility go hand in hand. The high vitamin C content in frozen peaches has been shown to improve sperm count and reduce sperm clumping. Plus, vitamin C is a potent antioxidant boosting immunity for you and your partner.
- Chocolate. Save the best for last. A chocolate a day ensures desire will stay… or something like that. Researchers have found countless benefits linked to the consumption of chocolate, in moderate portions, including their high PEA (phenylethylamine) content. PEA fuels the release of endorphins and serotonin – natural mood-boosters – that will improve your longing for a little one-on-one time with your lover.